The Legal and Taxation Group was formed in early 2012, with Stephen Frost as Chairman.
The purpose of the Group is to advise and report to the Board of Directors of BCCT, the BCCT membership and others, concerning the law including taxation law and regulations of Thailand, including proposed changes in the law, the BCCT's constitution and activities, the convening of events, and to make representations to government and other entities.
During 2016, the Legal & Taxation Committee met six times. Discussions took place on many different and divergent issues, including:
- Know Your Client procedures in banking and procedures for opening bank accounts by foreigner individuals and directors;
- taxation (including changes to tax allowances, inheritance tax and gift tax, VAT, excise duty, taxation of e-commerce, sharing of information between the Revenue Department and other government departments, and other matters);
- a Thai Supreme Court decision on treatment of losses for BOI promoted companies;
- the Trade Competition Act;
- the Business Security Act and regulations made under it;
- possible Foreign Business Act changes that were under discussion;
- the transfer pricing rules;
- plans for the new Land and Building tax to replace the House and Land Tax;
- changes to Immigration Department practice and procedure regarding documents required and other matters;
- the Licensing Facilitation Act;
- the Electronic Transactions Act;
- leasing of agricultural land;
- the Madrid Protocol and registration of trademarks; and
- the Securities and Exchange Act
During the past 12 months events were organised on a wide range of subjects:
- An open forum on taxation
- bribery and corruption,
- work permits and visas (in both Phuket and Bangkok)
- the UK Supreme Court appeal concerning the BREXIT vote, and
The Committee also supported a multi-Chamber event on the Business Security Act at which Clifford Chance lawyers spoke.
Committee membership is open to any law firms or accountancy firms in Thailand, or to consumers of legal or accountancy services.
|Mr Stephen Frost||Chairman||Bangkok International Associates Ltd|
|Mr. Simon Landy||Colliers International Thailand|
|Mr Andrew Wynne||Price Sanond Prabhas & Wynne|
|Mr. Picharn Sukparangsee||Bangkok Global Law Offices Limited|
|Mr. John Sim||PKF Holdings (Thailand) Limited|
|Chris Thatcher||Anglo-Thai Legal Co., Ltd.|
|Mr. Pardorn Suchiva||RSM (Thailand) Limited|
|Mr. Fergus Evans||Clifford Chance (Thailand) Limited|
|Mr. Rob Hurenkamp||Mazars (Thailand) Ltd.|